- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States.
- Each year 42,773 Americans die by suicide.
- On average, there are 117 suicides per day.
- Firearms account for almost 50% of all suicides.
- The rate of suicide is highest in middle age — white men in particular.
- Females attempt suicide three times more often than males.
- For every suicide, 25 attempt.
- While males are 4 times more likely than females to die by suicide, females attempt suicide 3 times as often as males.
- The ratio of suicide attempts to suicide death in youth is estimated to be about 25:1, compared to about 4:1 in the elderly.