Current Openings (January 2021)
Position Title: Business and Finance Manager
Supervisory Responsibilities: Oversight of financial activities Operations/Accounting/Human Resources
Reports to: Executive Director
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Date: January 2021
Grassroots is a 24-hour Crisis Center providing 24 hotlines and walk-in counseling, Mobile Crisis Team, single point of entry for homeless services in Howard County, and shelter and support services for homeless families and individuals. The Business and Finance Manager is responsible for the agency’s financial operations including: help with budget planning, financial management, compliance, payroll, accounting, reporting, and external audits. The Business and Finance Manager reports to the Executive Director and supports the Grassroots Business Operations Committee (BOC).
Finance and Accounting
- Oversees the financial functions including accounting, help in preparing the budget and external audits.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls, policies and procedures. Research and recommend revisions or new policies as needed.
- Responsible for successful audits. Coordinate all audit-related activities. Review draft audited financial statements prior to Executive Director’s signature. Work closely with external auditors on the preparation and submission of the 990 and other related tax documents as, Form 5500, and Personal Property taxes.
- Help with the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the annual budget with the Executive Director and Operations Manager. Develop the operating budget and assist senior staff with the program budgets, Present budget and justification and quarterly expense reports to Business Operations Committee.
- Prepare quarterly and annual expense reports. Forecast expenses and justify budget variances.
- Assess and implement technology solutions to streamline financial operations and reporting.
- Supervise Staff Accountant to ensure that all accounting transactions including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and investment activity are properly recorded.
- Manage all bank accounts and ensure that monthly reconciliations are completed and reviewed.
- Prepare meeting minutes and agenda for the Business Operations Committee monthly meetings.
- Prepare month-end and year-end close.
- Review and reconcile the employee W2s, and prepare the Form 1099s.
- Design, plan and implement human resources programs and policies for staffing, compensation, benefits, 403(b) plan, employee relations and health and safety. Perform strategic role in managing staff and maintaining workplace culture and a healthy work environment. Serve as point of contact for all HR-related inquiries and issues.
- Maintain appropriate internal controls and personnel procedures. Comply with various federal, state and local labor laws and reporting requirements.
- Assure that staff compensation is compliant with the approved salary structure and competitive with peer organizations. Update structure periodically and participate in relevant salary surveys. Work with HR consultants as needed.
- Consult with legal counsel on a variety of issues as needed.
- communicate compensation and benefits specifics, including 403(b) deferred contributions to outsourced payroll company. Record bi-weekly payroll and compare to budget.
- Supervise the HR Coordinator
- Participate in regular meetings as an active member of the senior executive team.
- Work with Executive Director to Identify and implement policies and procedures to improve the overall operation and effectiveness of office functions. Identify administrative challenges and develop solutions.
- Provide technical and professional advice to and share knowledge with staff.
- Yearly negotiate with Broker for the best Employee Benefits and act as liaison with Insurance brokers.
- The Business and Finance Manager will have at least 10+ years of experience and the following experience and attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business required
- Master’s degree in business or accounting, finance, or equivalent experience in related field
- 5 plus years’ experience in public or not for profit accounting
- Commitment to the mission of Grassroots Crisis Intervention
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Qualities of integrity and resourcefulness
- A creative and proactive problem solver, who takes initiative and tackles challenges
- Experience collaborating in an executive-level dynamic team
- An effective communicator with strong oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Superior management skills and ability to influence and engage others
- Trained in and demonstrated experience across multiple disciplines preferably in the nonprofit sector
- Ability and willingness to take on assignments across the spectrum of office management
- Experience with QuickBooks Accounting System, a plus
- Knowledgeable of all aspects of Human Resources management
Skills and Abilities:
Excellent writing and oral communications skills; understanding of non-profit management, fiscal management, human resources. Excellent organizational skills, problem-solving skills, strong computer skills including Excel. Must be a self-starter, very flexible, able to work as part of a team, and meet important deadlines.
Private office, fast-paced environment. Some flexibility with schedule. Physical demands are minimal.
Grassroots Crisis Intervention is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, religion or national origin. People of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org